Medical equipment is designed to aid in the diagnosis, monitoring or treatment of medical conditions. These devices are usually designed with rigorous safety standards.
See also the main articles: implant, artificial limbs, corrective lenses, cochlear implants, dental implants, prosthetics (ocular, facial)
There are several basic types:
* Diagnostic equipment includes medical imaging machines, used to aid in diagnosis. Examples are ultrasound and MRI machines, PET and CT scanners, and x-ray machines.
* Therapeutic equipment includes infusion pumps, medical lasers and LASIK surgical machines.
* Life support equipment is used maintain a patient's bodily function. These include medical ventilators, heart-lung machines, ECMO, and dialysis machines.
* Medical monitors allow medical staff to measure a patient's medical state. Monitors may measure patient vital signs and other parameters including ECG, EEG, blood pressure, and dissolved gases in the blood.
* Medical laboratory equipment automates or help analyze blood, urine and genes.
* Diagnostic Medical Equipment may also be used in the home for certain purposes, e.g. for the control of diabetes mellitus
A biomedical equipment technician (BMET) is a vital component of the healthcare delivery system. Employed primarily by hospitals, BMETs are the people responsible for maintaining a facility's medical equipment.
* Durable medical equipment
* Home medical equipment
* Medical devices
* Surgical instruments
* Medical test
Notable medical equipment companies
* Boston Scientific
* Beckman Coulter
* Johnson & Johnson
* Spacelabs Healthcare
* St.Jude Medical
* GE Healthcare
* Siemens AG